What is a Salty Dog?
Define Salty Dog
- Salty Dog is nautical slang for an experienced sailor who has spent much of his life aboard a ship at sea. A salty dog is often given increased credibility by ship mates in matters pertaining to ship-board life and duties. Also known as an “Old salt.”
- a US Marine whose time he or she has served does not correspond with his or her rank. For example, a Corporal (E-4) whose camouflage utilities have a white tinge from being used for much longer than would be expected to achieve the rank of Cpl. The faded color of camouflage uniform is attributed to the sodium loss in the Marine’s sweat and that Marine is referred to as being “salty.” The colloquial nickname for US Marines is “Devil Dog.”
- a down-to-earth or course dog that has spent most of its life outdoors
- a senior dog with gray hair
- The original mascot for the US Marines, “Chesty I,” who is rumored to have been demoted due to an altercation with another dog.